9.07.2012

Getting Started

Starting a project like this isn't easy.  It takes time.  It takes thought.  It takes guts and confidence.

This is partially why it has taken 2 years to finally take the first step in building my hobby into something beautiful: an opportunity to share the joy I get out of my craft with others.  Having had ample amount of time off to consider, reconsider, work out and then decide has also helped give direction and vision which were previously lacking.

For a long time friends and family have been pressing me to make a living out of photography - to get out there and assert myself as a creative artist.  While their encouragements are greatly appreciated, I can say with all honesty, that will never be my intention. There are so many people with digital cameras who are flooding the cyber world with their art, and with today's technology, it is easy for anyone to get fantastic photos in a *snap*.

Thankfully, my need for regularity, schedules and security keep me steady and I can accept that if someone likes my work and wants to invest in it, they are welcome to, but in no way will I allow the necessity of having to take pictures rob me of the enjoyment found in it.  For now, when photography is frustrating or trying or simply boring, I can set it aside - let it rest on the counter for a week, a month, a year if needed.  The freedom to do that allows it to remain a creative art instead of a burden, always pressing to be new, different, exciting, pleasing.  When it's a job, you don't have that choice, you must press on.

Marketing has begun.  It's a start.  I will be fully operational and ready to go by October (physically and mentally, that is) but without the assumption of being "in business" and without the stress of having to make it work.

If it does, great.  If it doesn't, at least I can say I gave it a shot!

Thank you for your support,

Auntie M.

No comments: