An instant hit, even a bit of a surprise :)
1/2 cup warm water
2 packages (1 1/2 tablespoons) active dry yeast
1 1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar or 2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup butter
1 tbsp salt
1 large egg
2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
5-6 cups flour
1) In a large bowl, combine water and yeast. Let sit until yeast is dissolved, about 5 min.
2) Heat milk on stove-top until warm. Add sugar (or honey), salt and butter. Stir until butter is just melted.
3) Remove milk from heat and cool to lukewarm. Stir into dissolved yeast.
4) Add egg and cheese and beat until smooth.
5) Add flour one cup at a time until forms a nice smooth dough. You may end up using more or less flour depending on the consistency of your mix.
6) Knead for 10 min and set in an oiled bowl, covered, for one hour.
7) Punch down and form into loaves (using either bread pans for standard shape or rounded loaves/buns on baking sheet).
8) Let rise for another 30 min.
9) Bake in oven at 375 F for 30 min, depending on your oven. Bake until crust is golden and bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
Original recipe from Joy of Cooking 75th Anniversary edition, though I made some slight modifications. Another nice touch is to score the loaf before baking and top with shredded cheese as well. You can never have too much cheese!!